April 10, 2020 update:
Dear Summer at LA Families,
We hope this email finds you and your family safe and well during this most unusual and stressful time. We wanted to take a moment to connect with our Summer at LA families and let you know some of our thinking about this upcoming summer.
It is our strong desire to operate camp this summer in a manner that keeps our campers, staff and greater community safe. We think that our families and campers will need what we provide more than ever. Camp may have to look different this summer, but our hope is that we will be able to have a camp program in one way, shape or form. We are in regular communication with Lawrence Academy’s Leadership Team and Dr. Melinda Raboin, Director of Health Services at Lawrence Academy as well as with our local health department. We are staying up-to-date on the local and national impact of COVID-19 by monitoring reports from experts and tracking developments of the virus in an effort to anticipate the impact on camp this summer. We are currently developing various alternate plans depending on what is allowed and deemed safe come summer. With summer still many weeks away and this being a rapidly evolving situation, we feel that one of the most important things we can do right now is to remain adaptable and flexible, and we anticipate that our very specific plans will come into focus as we get a little closer to camp.
For now, we are leaving our website up to date with the information about all our camps we intended to offer this summer. We will need to continue to evaluate whether those plans are still appropriate and enable us to do everything in our power to keep campers and staff safe based on the COVID-19 conditions come summer. This is our top priority. We will be sure to let you know via email and our website of any changes we make to our operation and offerings based on any definitive information we become aware of during this pre-camp season.
We want to share with all our families our current action plans to give you the peace of mind about your registrations and the payments you have made thus far.
- All payment schedules have been put on hold until at least June 1, 2020. If camp is able to run safely, we will offer alternate payment plans/schedules once that decision has been definitive.
- If we need to cancel a camp program that you have registered for, all families will be offered a full refund or the choice of a credit towards Summer 2021 for all money paid to Summer at LA for summer 2020 registration. For families choosing a credit, we will guarantee no increase in cost to you for the next year.
- We have not closed registration for 2021 however, we are not processing new registrations including the deposit fee at this time. If we are able to have camp, we will process registrations in the order that they were received. Those in the registration queue are counted in our camp numbers.
- We strongly encourage families who are registered to remain registered at this time. We cannot guarantee that spaces will be available if we are able to open camp safely. (For example, if we can open, but with smaller numbers, we would not be able to add additional registrations).
- Our goal is to have a better sense of our ability to conduct our program offerings for this summer by the middle of May. It is possible that we will be making decisions about the summer on a rolling basis, as opposed to having clarity about the whole summer at once.
- The safety and well-being of each of our campers, our staff and our community at large are of the utmost concern and our top priority. We will make decisions about camp based on government regulations, board of health recommendations and policies, as well as considering what our social responsibility is to our greater community.
Camp and our camp community is on the forefront of our minds each day. We are here for you and wish to be a resource to you. We understand that life is anything but routine right now. As we all juggle working from home, raising our children, and homeschooling, we are WITH you! We understand, we care, and we are here.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Email is the fastest route to us currently, as we are both working remotely while the Lawrence Academy campus is closed. Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kate Vizen, Director
Laurel Rossiter, Assistant Director
Summer at LA